Sunday, May 27, 2012

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket


Doesn't that tunnel of trees look like something from a fairy tale? It was on the walk to the abandoned church in the second picture. I can't remember the name of the site, but the church had been abandoned and was falling apart, but in recent years has been restored a bit, and looks really good! I can't say how old it is because I couldn't quite make out the second number on the date-stone set into the wall, and I'm too silly to have taken a picture of it~ It was either a 4, 5, or 6... so...1400's, 1500's, or 1600's. Old! Shall we go with that?

There was a cool Celtic cross/sword stone in the floor of that church, and it may be a burial stone, but I think it was more like a pilgrimage stone, like the ones I saw in Ireland last year. Not sure though! I didn't put up a picture of it on here, but it looked a mossy-er version of the stones in the third picture there.

Now that third picture is from Llangaffo churchyard. I can't say how to pronounce that on here, it's Welsh! The first bit means church, or place or worship, or something along those lines though... the 'Llan' part. Lots of church's names start with it! Lots. so many..
There was a standing stone that, legend has it, was used as an ancient sundial by the people who lived there, and when the sun hits the very top of the stone around a specific time of year then the farmers must begin to bring in their crops. So it's a pretty ancient site! All of those crosses in the photo are Celtic, and were found around the churchyard, and collected there. I enjoyed the fact that they weren't simply leaning against a wall, but that someone had taken the time to make those little metal hooks to hold them in place so insensitive people couldn't knock them over and destroy them forever.

Actually, slightly to right in the centre in that picture is the bottom of the standing stone! There we go! As an added bonus too, you can't actually see it but on that hill I also found a headstone for my project that is the CLOSEST I've gotten to the 18th century in Wales...with a limestone upright headstone. I was pretty pleased too, there was a welsh word on it and I read it without even thinking. The second line said '1811 33 OED', which is..years, I think! It means how old they were, anyways. So yah, closest to the 18th century... I have yet to actually find one in Wales I can use from the 18th century yet though! Soooooonn....in Ireland. haha I hope!

Sorry I'm not actually in any of these pictures, but I was working...so no posing! :D

Hope you are all well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Every comment gives me a smile, leave a few and stay a while! (well...that's just cheesy..)