Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A brief history of SOAP.

That's right! Soap, everyone.

We're taking a break from the regular programming because I've been wearing boring things the last few days, and getting ready for my band trip.

notes: - There were 8 comments on the last post! That's the most I've ever had, and I'm ever so pleased! Thank you all! I hope to see you all again ><
-Also, I woke up this morning and it was snowing. Snowing. Ug.

anyways!


A Brief History of Soap, by Robyn.


(I made a picture to go here..but it's upstairs. I'll show you all later?)

I’ve been in love with soaps for some time now. I don’t really use much soap, but when I go to use some I do enjoy having a grand variety to choose from!

Photobucket


Now, I’ve done a bit of research on the history of soap for you all, and this is what I’ve come up with:

-It is evident that in ancient Babylonian archaeological sites that the people that lived there as early as 2800BC were making and using a kind of soap. They would boil fat and ashes together.
-The Egyptians described their soaps in a medicinal document from 1500BC, in which they mixed animal and plant oils with salts to create a soap like substance. The Egyptian people believed in regular baths to promote spiritual cleanliness.
-Apparently soap got its name from Mount Sopa (according to a Roman legend). Animals would be sacrificed on the mountain, and rain would wash the animal fats mixed with wood ashes downstream where it mixed with clay in the riverbed. Woman soon found out that this mixture made washing easier! (or again, so says the legend). Rome was famous for its bathes.
- By the 2nd century a Greek physician recommended soap for both medicinal and cleaning purposes.
-The medieval ages gave way to a lapse in the use of soap. We all have heard stories in history classes of how terribly the hygiene of these people were. The saying “Once a year, whether it needs it or not” referred to their practice of hair washing. Ugg.
-Eventually soap making became a closely guarded craft with Italy, Spain, and France being the leaders of production.

source: HERE!


Tada! I could go on; I found some pretty good sources out there in that internet place…
But I’ll make this slightly more personal now instead of spouting out facts.
I visited my favorite local organic food/various-other-things store the other day to buy…you guessed it…soap! I have a strong dislike against a lot of commercially made soaps these days with all their chemicals and additives that fall down your drain and end up in lakes, rivers, and eventually the ocean. I get shivers just thinking about the waterways being destroyed by chemicals. Not to mention the fact that these chemicals which can destroy the ecosystems of the oceans are being lathered all over our skin?! That’s horrid.

Photobucket


Which is why I like organic, locally made (or at least in my country), and biodegradable soaps that won’t harm the planet nearly as much, if at all. (a lot of this stems from my sailing trips, where we are only allowed to bring biodegradable soaps…as we wash in waterfalls and with buckets)
However! I did find this wonderful company called ‘The Soap Works’ based out of Ontario! Hurray! After buying a bar of their soap (for $1.95 CAD!) I decided that it was wonderful stuff and went back to see if they had shampoo. Which they did. In a combo bar actually, with conditioner in it as well! I was thrilled and promptly returned to the store and bought 4 more bars of their shampoo, since whenever I seem to like something in vanishes. I stocked up though, so it’s all good.

Soap Works: HERE!

It makes me happy to know that their company is very small (5 people) , and all the bars are safe on the oceans and rivers.

Photobucket


(this is my lush soap tin for their solid shampoos that I wouldn't recomment using for that purpose because their bars are the EXACT same size as the tin and when you put in inside and it's wet...you can't ever get it out again. Beside it is my own Soap Works bar. or at least..half of it.)

I do really love anything from Lush as well, though I find their solid shampoos to be a little bit dry. My only concern with their products is the price, as I’m about to be a poor poor university student, though I’d gladly take a chunk of RockStar soap any day. Who doesn’t want to smell like candies?!

-end-


I hope you all enjoyed that! It was certainly fun to make up!
This is my last post before Moscow, but I'll try to write something when I get back on sunday. (If youre wondering why I keep bringing this up and haven't gone yet....I'm really stoked >< )

Have a great night!

6 comments:

  1. i really love lush products
    whenever i have a little bit of spare cash, always tend to treat myself there :)

    really enjoyed your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who owns an excessive amount of soap. I once spent over half an hour in a store smelling soaps. I enjoyed myself.

    That history was also quite informative, I can't even imagine what people must have smelled like hundreds of years ago. Eugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a interesting post! ANIMAL FAT and ASHES lol very cool blog :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Lush. Their stuffs smells so good!
    And have fun in Moscow, that sounds so so so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I loved the info on soap. I thought maybe..just maybe you might make your own soap. Never know..you just might. Hope you have a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post! :)
    I love Lush products but I somehow just can't seem to stan their smell.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete

Every comment gives me a smile, leave a few and stay a while! (well...that's just cheesy..)